Welcome Soul Searchers

I hope to bring an interesting twist to everything you read and think about.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

An old essay I had to do on my favorite place...

Stillness, it is everywhere. Why you ask? The time difference of course. I wake up to look at the generic alarm clock on the bedside table to my right, glaring at me to show it’s only 3:36am back home and everything would be chaotic at 8:36am. We’ve only been here a day and it’s beautiful from the crashing waves to the trade winds blowing tousling your hair it’s the perfect vacation spot. So much culture around me that my senses just soak it up as if I were a dry sponge laid out in the sun for days. The feeling of pure bliss as I know the day could not get any better and with such a great time difference, I will not sleep all day!
            Up early I decide to go explore the little piece of Honolulu below our hotel. Strolling around the corner I stop and stare at the spotless streets, I have never seen a city so clean! Gawking like the retarded tourist I am, my eyes finally settle onto a little bagel shop not but two stores down and I decide to investigate (later this place became my little breakfast haven). One shop away and the aroma of fresh baked bread hit me. Ordering a bagel and a cold Starbucks Frappuccino (you know the kind they have at convenient stores) leaving I’m off to explore the city amidst the Plumeria trees. This place, from what I could see, had everything from: tiny shops with vendors trying to sell you their souls and the best seascape you could imagine. All I could see were surfers for miles upon miles, all looking for their “perfect wave.” Just a short ride from our hotel was an old inactive volcano the hard piles of solidified rock stretched all the way to the ocean just daring you to view its beautiful destruction once caused.
            Our picture perfect day of exploration seemed as if it might end with the quick change of the trade winds blowing some clouds in hastily. Luckily, what they call rain is what we know as mist! Fifteen minutes later, it ceased; to be quite honest it was very refreshing as the whisper of mist caressed my tacky skin. Soaking up the rays of sun, I explored all the ways to the edge of the solid lave. I could never imagine what it would have been like to see Mother Nature in full force. Since it was gorgeous out, I decided to take a little stroll not noticing how much time was going bye, being that it was a wonderful 87 ⁰ out. Before I knew it, I had gone up the beach and came to rest at a quaint little town.
            The laid-back culture of “hang loose” engulfed me. There were little fishing boats and a market. More of the harassing soul-selling merchants trying to pay for their twenty kids and a tiny little surf shop that rented surfboards for the day. We ended up going into a restaurant down the road that had things like Pâté and escargot. I, of course, chose to eat the tomato soup, since I did not feel like being brave and trying the escargot. It was delicious like nothing I have ever tasted before. Our whole meal went that way; everything was as if it was being eaten for the first time with explosions of new tastes in my mouth. This little island had turned into my little heaven made of pineapple fields and people of a marvelous culture.

            Thinking back at the whole experience, I could not have asked for any place better than Honolulu. The beaches, weather, and their people were some of the best experiences in my life. I know that before I die I want to visit Honolulu again to experience it like the first time. Before leaving the island, you are supposed to put your lei’s in the ocean in hopes that one day you will return. I know I will one day; I just do not know when yet. One of the great things in life is you’ll never know what will happen or when so I’m hoping one day I can go on a whim back to that peacefully wonderful island.  

No comments:

Post a Comment